Blog

The neoclassical mansions of Eleusis

In the early 1880s, Lepsina (as Eleusis was known at the time) was an insignificant town on the edge of the Thriasian Plain. The establishment of industries brought significant wealth to Eleusis and enabled wealthy middle-class urbanites to set up home here. Obviously, the new residents demanded imposing residences, so within fifty years (1880-1930) the neighborhoods around the archaeological site were filled with neoclassical buildings to accommodate their needs.

The pine resin harvesters

Many years before the arrival of the first industrial chimneys, Eleusis depended on agriculture. The land was generally dry and arid but the pine-clad mountains that surround the Thriasian Plain contained great wealth in the form of pine resin. This substance supported an entire way of life that grew and died with the forests of Eleusis.

The railway station of Eleusis

The arrival of the first train in Eleusis in late 1885 was a major event for the small community. The station became a favourite destination for the young people of Lepsina, while the railway station’s coffeehouse served the first souvlaki and Fix beer to the people of Eleusis.

The great strike of 1929 (Part III)

The bloodshed during the labour protest of March 5, 1929, was a jolt to the state apparatus. While Eleusinians mourned the dead worker and fought for their rights with the ministers of the Venizelos government, Eleusis was practically occupied by strong gendarmerie detachments…

The Laskos mutiny

When the most conservative elements of the middle class go on strike, surely something is terribly wrong. On March 10, 1927, merchants and shopkeepers expressed their disagreement with a devastating policy introduced by the all-party government of Alexandros Zaimis

The Eleusis picarel

Every Sunday morning, the suburb of Tzitzifies was full of people. Hundreds of fishermen from all over Athens gathered here to buy bait and secure a seat in the boats or the buses that would transport them to paradise: the Saronic Gulf fishing grounds.